GUIDELINES FOR OPENING FAIR PRICE SHOP
1. There should be a Fair Price Shop within a radius of 3kms. Per every 2000 card population in rural areas and 4000 card population units in urban areas except in five old Municipalities i.e. Margao, Mapusa, Mormugao, Panaji and Ponda the card population shall be 3000 instead of 4000. An adult may be taken as one unit and a child below 12 years as half unit. Government of India norm of a Fair Price Shop for every 2000-population units is only a guidelines. In urban areas, relaxation of this norm is necessary due to easy non-availability of suitable premises.
2. The Fair Price Shop should not deal in open market sale of any of the varieties and qualities of commodities distributed through Fair Price Shop. However, the shops should deal in other commodities. (This condition is so as to increase economic viability of the Fair Price Shop).
3. The Fair Price Shop should be financially sound enough to lift the entire allotment of P.D.S. commodities in one lot in a month. The financial requirement should be worked out on the basis of cards allotted, quantities of P.D.S. commodities to be lifted, the salaries of the employees, rent of premises, etc. Evidence should be taken from the proposed Fair Price Shop owner/society in proof of his/its financial strength.
4. The premises to be used for Fair Price Shop should be closed and spacious enough for handling and storing P.D.S. commodities and other non-P.D.S. commodities.
5. Persons residing in and societies of the locality where Fair Price Shop is proposed to be open should be given preference.
6. Fair Price shop Should be allotted to only those persons who do not have any other member of his family running a Fair Price Shop in any part of this territory. Father/Mother, Spouse, unmarried sons/daughters and unmarried brothers/sisters living in the same undivided family will be considered as family members.
7. The transfer of Fair Price Shop should be allowed only either in the name of wife or husband having no business or unemployed, father/mother having no business or unemployed, brother/sister having no business or unemployed and daughter/son having no business or unemployed. No transfer of any other type shall be allowed.
8. The unmarried lady owning a Fair Price Shop or to whom the Fair Price Shop is being allotted, after marriage; will have to surrender the shop if the husband is earning or employed and if there is no heir as at 7 above.
9. Majority of the members of the Co-operative Society of educated unemployed are necessarily required to be educated unemployed and should be on the live register of Employment Exchange for minimum 2 years and they should be within the age limit of 18 to 35 years for each member.
10. The age limit in the case of educated unemployed should be 18 to 35 years for individuals and 2 years live register in the Employment Exchange. Besides, he should be completely free encumbrance of studies.
11. On every occasion a waiting list for allotment of Fair Price Shops shall be drawn and its validity shall not exceed six months from the date of sanctioning the allotment. Further in case allotter abandons or his license for the Fair Price Shop is cancelled within 6 months by the allotment authority for some or other reasons the waiting list drawn for the purpose shall be operated.
12. Preference in allotment of Fair Price Shop should be in the following orders: -
a. Co-operative Society of educated unemployed each one fulfilling all the conditions as for C below.
b. Any other Registered Co-operative Society.
c. Educated unemployed.
d. Scheduled Castes.
e. Freedom Fighter.
f. Physically Handicapped.
There is a Government decision to give 25% reservation for SC/ST. However, so far only one SC is running a Fair Price Shop. There is a Government directive to give special consideration to reserve 3% for Ex-Servicemen. However, no ex-servicemen have so far applied for Fair Price Shop.
Preference will be given to Educated Unemployed trained under TRYSEM.
13. The Educated unemployed should satisfy the following conditions: -
a) He/She must have passed SSC in any of the schools in Goa, Daman and Diu, so also all the members of the Co-operative Society of educated unemployed must have passed SSC.
b) He/She must be in the age group of 18-35 years.
c) His/Her name must have been in the live register of the Employment Exchange at least for two years.